Monday, May 30, 2016

A Court of Mist and Fury - Book Review

A Court of Mist and Fury

by Sarah J. Mass

DISCLAIMER: There will be some spoilers for both ACOTAR and ACOMAF in this review. You have been warned!!

SynopsisFeyre survived Amarantha's clutches to return to the Spring Court--but at a steep cost. Though she now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human, and it can’t forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin’s people.

            Nor has Feyre forgotten her bargain with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court. As Feyre navigates its dark web of politics, passion, and dazzling power, a greater evil looms--and she might be key to stopping it. But only if she can harness her harrowing gifts, heal her fractured soul, and decide how she wishes to shape her future--and the future of a world cleaved in two. (Goodreads summary)


My Review: My initial reactions to finishing this book were HOLY SHIT, and when will the next book be out. Sarah J. Mass has once again brought me into this wonderful world full of characters I love, and ripped me right out of it with my heart shattered into a thousand pieces. 
            What really made this book for me has to be the characters and the character development. We already know Feyre from the previous book, but everything changes in this one. Feyre has something along the lines of PTSD which is completely understandable after what she went through Under the Mountain. She is being coddled by Tamlin, who I grew to hate in ACOTAR which is surprising due to how much I loved him in ACOTAR, until Rhysand comes to cash in on their bargain they made Under the Mountain....in the middle of Feyra and Tamlin's wedding. We learn that Rhys isn't just the cool, cocky prick we met in ACOTAR, but is actually a caring, somewhat broken man who only did what he did to protect those he loves. I also personally loved the entire Night Court gang, Mor, Amren, Cassian, and Azriel, and thought that Mass did a fantastic job in showing each person's character and personality as well as giving us a good description of their backgrounds and how deep their relationships runs. Ever since I finished ACOMAF I've been scouring the internet for Fanfics that include all of my favorite characters just to get me through until the third book, and I'm hoping that Mass will do some novellas on the Night Court gang and their pasts (especially Amren since much is unknown about her).
            In my opinion, I think that the plot of ACOMAF blows the plot of ACOTAR out of the water. There is no second book slump in the ACOTAR series, and I think that the sequel has actually overcome the first in the series. I love how Mass was able to put a lot of stuff into the 626 pages of ACOMAF, and keep the readers attention every step of the way till the end. Everything from Feyre self destructing in the beginning, to Rhys and Feyre's relationship developing in Velaris, to the beginning of the war with the King of Hybern, to the EPIC THING THAT HAPPENED AT THE END (not putting it in due to spoilers, but if you've read it, YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!!!) kept readers hooked. It also seems like this book was setting up for the epic war in the upcoming third (and final) book which I can not wait for!
           Last, but certainly not least, we NEED to discuss the relationship between Rhysand and Feyre....MATES!!!! THEY'RE MATES! AHHHhHHHhhHHhhh my little fangirl heart can't handle this. I really liked Rhys in ACOTAR because I kind of have a thing for bad boys, and hello!!! Rhys is the baddest bad boy of them all (just kidding, he's actually the cutest little cinnamon bun, but I thought he was a bad boy in ACOTAR), so when Mass paired them together over instead of Feyre Tamlin (whom I REALLLY hate after the ending of ACOMAF), I just about died. Mass does a fantastic job in building their relationship, and sharing every little detail with us. Their are also some VERY steamy sexy, sexy fun time bits in here that I was not expecting, but thoroughly enjoyed.

All in all, I give A Court of Mist and Fury five out of five stars for its enthralling plot, loveable (and hatable) characters, and the overall amazing writing of the queen, Sarah J. Mass. If you have not already, I truly recommend that you pick up the A Court of Thorns and Roses series, or any other book by Sarah J. Mass, because it will truly change (and take over) your life.


If you would like to purchase A Court of Mist and Fury
-CG



No comments:

Post a Comment